rare and unique opportunity to acquire a piece of local history accompanied by
a 21 Acre Smallholding, ideal for buyers with equestrian interest or hobby
Lands Farmis a five bedroom
detached dormer property situated in an elevated position above the village of
Ewyas Harold, with fantastic expansive views over the surrounding Herefordshire
countryside. The village contains a number of amenities, such
as a school, butchers, post office, village hall and fire station. The grounds of Castle Lands Farm are
steeped in history, located adjacent to the old Motte and Bailey Castle and
accompanied by approximately 21 acres of pasture land, woodland and various outbuildings.
main accommodation comprises on the ground floor of entrance hall, utility room
with fitted cupboards and washing facility, a rear conservatory/garden room, an
open plan kitchen/dining room with a vaulted ceiling benefits from the elevated
stunning views and is fitted with a range of matching base and wall units,
integrated oven and hobs. Adjacent to the kitchen dining area is a separate
sitting room boasting an inset fireplace and large bay window overlooking the
the inner hallway doors lead to two double bedrooms, one currently used as an
office both serviced by a bathroom fitted with low flush WC, bath and wash hand
basin. At the far end of the accommodation stands a further two double bedrooms
and shower room.
first floor accommodation currently offers one double bedroom with ample
storage cupboards, several eave storage cupboards all the while with the
potential to extend into both gable ends, perhaps making for a further washroom
and bedroom (subject to relevant permissions).
the front elevation stands the large decked area, accessed by the dining room,
this provides a suitable outside space for entertaining family and friends.
Land and Outbuildings
property is approached by a gravelled driveway from the main roadside up to a
parking area offering ample parking for several vehicles as well as a double garage (19’4” x 15’10”) and workshop (7’9” x 6’)with electricity supply. To the rear
are manmade terraced gardens with a greenhouse and polytunnels.
land and gardens in total extend to approximately just under 21 acres (20.9)
is a cultivated area next to the garden which has polytunnel, brick potting
shed with open store to the side. The other outbuildings include;
Barn 8.85m x
Dutch Barn 6.33m x 4m
Large Corrugated Barn 16.5m x 9m
Old Milking Parlour 12m x 4.5m
remainder of the land comprises a large field laid to pasture (with old lay
style grass) and a further woodland boasting a plethora of wildlife, planted
approximately 15 years ago including such tree species as oak, ash cherry,
maple and birch. The woodland is still registered as part of a woodland
development grant which provides remunerations of £750 per annum (Valid until
adjacent to the house are the remains of the Anglo Saxon Castle with its historic
motte and bailey. Carrying strong historical importance, the castle is
registered as a scheduled ancient monument. Ref: SM30079
property is a registered smallholding and also has the benefit of commoner’s
rights over the Ewyas Harold Common. This gives the right to graze 10 Cattle
and 40 Sheep on the common without charge.
motte and bailey is located adjacent to the house and is one of only 3 sites
constructed prior to the Norman Conquest. Overseeing the Monnow Valley, which
the castle site was built to defend, the grounds benefit from fantastic
expansive countryside views spanning towards Monmouth. Felled timber from the
Motte site and 15 year old planted woodland provide sustainable heating backed
up by hot water solar panels.
first castle on this site was built sometime between 1048-1051 by Osbern
Pentecost. It was dismantled in 1052 following conflict between the Norman
Nobles and Godwin, Earl of Essex, but refortified shortly after the conquest in
1066 – 1067 by William Fitzobern. Fitz – Obern was established as Earl of
Hereford by William the Conqueror in 1067. The origin of the name Harold in the
title is indicated by Leland c.1530 who names the place ‘Mapheralt’ being the
welsh equivalent to ‘son of Herald’.
son of Harold was Robert, Lord of Ewyas in the 12
inherited the Lordship of Ewyas, probably by 1135 and was responsible for
founding of the Cistercian Abbey at Dore in 1147. The castle fell out of use in
Century. The last military use of the castle was possibly
during the rising of Owain Glyndwr around 1403. Any remains of the castle at
Ewyas had disappeared by the civil war in 1645.
2006 archaeologists made accurate plans of the earthworks and carried out
surveys using remote sensing techniques including ground-penetrating radar.
Archaeological studies associated with the castle and the bailey areas have
taken place in 2007, 2010 and 2011. Initially these focused on the castle
itself, and comprised geophysical surveys of the Motte and Bailey. Subsequently
attention moved to the medieval priory cell that was thought to possibly have
been located within the castle itself. This later research has demonstrated
that this was not the case. The inner bailey was divided from the outer by a
defensive ditch and probably fortifications on its inner side. The line of this
ditch later became a trackway or road known as King Street.
site has been featured on Tony Robinson’s program on ‘King Harold’ in 2002 and
Dan Snow’s Programmes on Norman Castle Walks in 2013.
Rights of Way A public footpath runs from the south
point of the grounds, along the west boundary, accessed by kissing gates.
Services Mains Water & Electricity, Private
Agents Note: The solar panels provide energy for
the electric heating. Woodburning stove provides heating to the water and
underfloor heating. Calor Gas supply available on standby.
Council Tax Herefordshire Council – Band E 2016/17
Hereford, proceed south on the A465 towards Abergavenny. After approximately 12
Miles turn right. signposted to Ewyas Harold Village. Proceed through the
village past the village hall, over the hump back bridge and bear left. Passing
the public house and chip shop headed to Longtown. After approximately 100
meters, turn left onto the private driveway signposted Castle Lands.
Viewings Strictly by appointment. Please
contact the agents on 01432 344779 before travelling to check viewing
arrangements and availability.
Jackson Property for themselves and the vendors of the
property, whose agents they are, give notice that these particulars, although
believed to be correct, do not constitute any part of an offer of contract,
that all statements contained in these particulars as to this property are made
without responsibility and are not to be relied upon as statements or
representations of fact and that they do not make or give any representation or
warranty whatsoever in relation to this property. Any intending purchaser must
satisfy himself by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of the
statements contained in these particulars.
agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixture, fittings or services
and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose,
neither has the agent checked the legal documents to verify the
freehold/leasehold status of the property. The buyer is advised to obtain
verification from their solicitor or surveyor.
10 November 2016